Author Topic: KitBase 2 - New 'Paint Stock' Table - Feedback and Comments Appreciated  (Read 420 times)

Admin Gary

• Developer and Owner of Suisoft
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
A new table has been added to KitBase 2, allowing paint stock (and similar items such as thinners) to be recorded.

The table will be added in to your database when you upgrade to KitBase 2. As you can see from the screenshot below, KitBase 2 now has a tabbed setup showing the different main tables automatically when you open the database.

The approach I have taken for stock quantity is 'Containers in Stock (Full)', indicating how many bottles/tins you have unopened. This is backed up by a 'Containers Half Used' number, indicating the number of tins/bottles with half or less paint left.

A 'Containers Wanted' field is also provided, so that you can flag the paint you need for upcoming builds.

Stock List

The screenshot below shows the form and the stock list.

Equivalent Colours

Fields are also provided to specify 'Equivalent' colours from different manufacturers and standards, e.g. Equivalent Mr Color.

This screenshot shows paints by 'GSI Creos' number, the common paint numbering system used on many Japanese kits.

As with other tables in KitBase, you can customise the table, form design and views. You can easily add more 'Equivalent' columns to satisfy your requirements.

I have considered more complex solutions, allowing paint requirements to be recorded against kits, so that stock can be looked up automatically.

I'm not sure how many folks would want to fill in that level of detail, therefore I have kept it simple for this release.

Feedback and Comments Appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:24:59 AM by Admin Gary »

kurtd123

• View Profile
Re: KitBase 2 - New 'Paint Stock' Table - Feedback and Comments Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
A standard report for a shopping list would be great.  I frequently go to the hobby shop looking for paints and find the brand I want out of stock, so including equivalents from other suppliers would be a huge help.  Great additions!

kurtd123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Something else...  A utility that allows me to plug in a list of colors from a kit's instructions and return a list of equivalents in my stocks - then automatically adds them to the shopping list if I don't have one.  I build many aircraft and the kit instructions provide colors only from one company.  I have to then spend quite a bit of time looking over my collection for the equivalent colors or finding out what that equivalent color is...  The ability to edit the database, I assume, will be included.  A central file in the cloud for the paint xref we can all share would be the ideal thing...

Kurt

Admin Gary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
A standard report for a shopping list would be great.  I frequently go to the hobby shop looking for paints and find the brand I want out of stock, so including equivalents from other suppliers would be a huge help.  Great additions!

You will be able to generate a report from the Paint Stock to take along with you. A filter can be applied to just include 'Wanted' paints.

Also, when the mobile version is available, you would be able to sync then use the KitBase views from the mobile app.

Admin Gary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
...  A utility that allows me to plug in a list of colors from a kit's instructions and return a list of equivalents in my stocks - then automatically adds them to the shopping list if I don't have one.  I build many aircraft and the kit instructions provide colors only from one company.  I have to then spend quite a bit of time looking over my collection for the equivalent colors or finding out what that equivalent color is...  The ability to edit the database, I assume, will be included.  A central file in the cloud for the paint xref we can all share would be the ideal thing...

Thanks for the feedback.

I would like to do something that links together 'Kit Paints' to 'Paint Stock'. As you say, a centralised database would really be needed to prevent it from being too laborious.

For this release, I'm just including a basic stock function, with a view to making improvements down the line. The matching functionality will need some extra KitBase functionality to be built. My focus at the moment is to get a new PC version out there then mobile apps, so that you can take KitBase with you.

The 'Equivalent' columns are a basis for the matching up to kit colours, as you can filter on an 'Equivalent' column to see if you have a compatible paint.

As with all tables in KitBase, you can customise the fields, form and views for Paint Stock.

John Laidlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
Very happy to see this coming up. I currently use a spreadsheet to keep track of my paint stock - I also use it to record paint mixes that I've developed myself, or have collected from various people. Is there a chance of a paint mixes feature in KitBase in the future?

Many thanks.

Admin Gary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »
Very happy to see this coming up. I currently use a spreadsheet to keep track of my paint stock - I also use it to record paint mixes that I've developed myself, or have collected from various people. Is there a chance of a paint mixes feature in KitBase in the future?

Many thanks.

Would you be able to email me a copy of your spreadsheet, so that I can see how you have recorded the mixes?

That way, I can see how it would fit into the database model.

You can reply to the news email I sent through.

Thanks,
Gary

John Laidlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Certainly - it should be with you shortly.

Many thanks.

Admin Gary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »
Certainly - it should be with you shortly.

Many thanks.

Thanks.