Author Topic: Cataloguing Ground Support Kits on KitBase  (Read 909 times)

Arend

• View Profile
Cataloguing Ground Support Kits on KitBase
« on: November 19, 2016, 12:58:47 AM »
Hi Gary,
I need some help in loading kits that are "mixes".

A number of companies, notably Airfix, have started releasing more ground support kits which are aimed at those doing dioramas. The ones that come to mind are the recently released WWII USAAF Bomber Re-Supply Set and older kits like WWII RAF Ground Crew and Bedford QLT and Bedford QLD trucks. Have you any suggestions on how to classify these in a way that makes them easily identifiable when checking the database and including extra descriptive information from the kit? I've tried various combinations of the accessory options in KitBase and they don't seem to work well in the listing and you need to go to the individual record to get the detail - a pain if you have a large number of records to work through. Will this be covered in the new release?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Arend

Admin Gary

• Developer and Owner of Suisoft
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
Re: Cataloguing Ground Support Kits on KitBase
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 11:31:25 AM »
Hi Arend,

KitBase 2 will allow you to show the notes fields in the grid (rather than just in tabs at the bottom). That will enable you to use the 'Find' feature to look for key words.

I guess with the sets, it comes down to your way of using them.

If they are a job lot (e.g. a re-arming kit that's a companion to an aircraft) you could just have them as Kit Type of 'Aircraft' and a single Accessory entry (Accessory Type: 'Rearming Kit'?) with notes. Just treat them as an accessory that's not 'with kit' (i.e. in the box with the kit, like you might do with a brass set).

If they are a set that you may cherry pick bits from, you could have a Kit Type of 'Multiple Accessories' or 'Accessory Set' and create individual accessories 'with kit'. That way they'll be listed separately in the kit list (with location indicating they're in the set box) and you can mark them as 'Built' and change the location as you consume them.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Gary

Arend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »
Hi Gary,
I think the "Kit Type" option sounds like the better route to take. It looks like it gives more options either if you use it as a single support item in a diorama or if you use multiple parts for different kits.
Thanks for the advice.
Kind Regards,
Arend

PS, Any news on the date for the release of the new KitBase version?

Admin Gary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
Hi Arend,

Glad to help.

Sorry for the slow response to your last post. I've been having a bit of PC trouble. My C: drive was too full and I tried Microsoft's built-in 'Disk Cleanup' tool which kindly trashed my operating system with no hope of recovery. I took the opportunity to upgrade the drive and am starting the arduous re-install process.

Work on KitBase has slowed some, as I had some contract work come my way. Too good an opportunity, particularly with Christmas eating away at the bank balance. I had been steadily moving forward with KitBase features until my machine became temporarily inoperable.

Hopefully back on a roll soon but release is likely to be in the new year. I really want to get it out there because it is soooo much better than KitBase 1. :)

Gary

demjpy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 12:54:22 AM »
Hi  when is that new release intended to be available ??

Admin Gary

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
Hi  when is that new release intended to be available ??

Hi,

I'm hoping to get something out to existing users in the next few weeks, with a follow-on release for new users a few weeks later.
The first release will be missing some functionality that is aimed at new users (e.g. Import).

I post updates from time to time on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Suisoft-KitBase-118513404899519/

You don't need to be a Facebook user to see these.

Gary