Author Topic: Douglas SBD3/4 Dauntless - 1:18 !  (Read 1345 times)

Arend

• View Profile
Douglas SBD3/4 Dauntless - 1:18 !
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:43:52 AM »
Hi all,
I have just started my most "daunting" build - a Dauntless at a scale of 1:18. It is amazing how BIG everything is.... It gives an opportunity to really get down to detail. I am not a very good modeller but I have decided to record my progress and I will try and put up how things develop. The size of the model means that  it converts into a series of "projects" covering the different aspects of the build so this could take quite a while.... :).

My first major task has been to tackle the cockpit interior including the rear MGs. I have done a fair amount of research on the build and found a number of reviews of builds by much more experienced and skilled modellers than me and they have given me lots of tips and hints. I ought to add at the start that I paint using brushes rather than air brushing. I see brushing as a personal challenge and so you may not see the same type of paint quality as you normally see with air brushing but this is my choice...

The first really big decision was the choice of zinc oxide, the metal protection used in many US aircraft. There must be about a dozen different shades of the colour. I eventually took the easy route out and decided on the Humbrol equivalent of matt pale yellow (81).

Her are a couple of pictures of the first stages....

I'll try add in more pics and notes as I progress.
Cheers,
Arend

Arend

• View Profile
Re: Douglas SBD3/4 Dauntless - 1:18 !
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 10:44:14 AM »
Hi all,
The interior cockpit painting took longer than I thought. I had to use several coats to get the paint cover that I wanted but I am now happy with this. I also got an opportunity to use my small finger drills to drill out the holes in the MG support ring. (The model has "dimples" for the holes so I decided to use the opportunities that the 1:18 scale gives to work in more detail and realism.)
Here are a couple of pictures of progress.

here are the drilled out "dimples
 "

This was my effort to put in some kind of panel and instrument detail despite fumbling fingers and failing eyesight!....... :)

Here's the interior showing the instrument rack.

I am about to put the cockpit together so my next report with feedback on the fit and whether I managed to align everything so that it slots into the right holes....
Cheers,
Arend

Arend

• View Profile
Re: Douglas SBD3/4 Dauntless - 1:18 !
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:20:21 AM »
Hi all,
The trouble with the bigger models is that you often end up hiding all the good work that has been done (unless you have clear parts!) I thought that I would take a shot of the inside of the cockpit before I close it up.

Not perhaps in the league of the top modellers but I am pleased with the result so far. I get satisfaction from seeing that I am improving slowly.

The next step is to try and put the cockpit together (did you se the other half in the background?) and then start putting the two sides of the main fuselage together.
Until  next time.
Cheers,
Arend