Author Topic: What does your stash look like?  (Read 1944 times)

Arend

• View Profile
What does your stash look like?
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
Hi all,

I have just finished a project to organise my stash onto shelving to protect the boxes (if you stack them 14 high, the bottom box tends to collapse....), making it easier to see what is in the stash (although that can also be achieved by checking your up to date KitBase....), and giving easier access. The project was not cheap and it took a bit of huffing and puffing and saving up to cover the cost but the end result is really worth it. I took photos before, during and after and the result was quite staggering,. (See below.)

In the past, I have put my stash in cupboards, on free standing shelves, stacked on the floor, under desks (not yet in the garage - we have a car port which could be a problem...) but I think my solution is the best in the long run but only possible because I have a spare room available for a hobby room.

Any thoughts? It is obviously tough for those that have limited space. Any suggestions for clever use of space?

Cheers,
Arend

afgriff

• View Profile
Re: What does your stash look like?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
Hi Arend,

It looks really nice.  You've done a good job of organizing.  I have a small place so I jut have my kits in a spare bedroom closet.  My overflow is in the garage in boxes up in the rafters.  No real other suggestions.  You've done a nice job with your space.  Where do you display your models?

Below are some pictures of my closet.

Tom

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:33:39 PM by afgriff »

Arend

• View Profile
Re: What does your stash look like?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:14:53 AM »
Hi Tom,
Thanks for your kind words. I like your use of lightweight wire shelving - I never thought of that and I never saw readily available examples in the DIY stores.. I went the full shelving route which was quite costly. I was also lucky to have a dedicated hobby room (negotiated with domestic management...). I also had in mind the (eventual) sale of the house and the shelving can also be used for someone running a small home business like book keeping or tax consulting.

My eternal problem is how high can one stack boxes? The model manufacturers vary so much in terms of the strength of their boxes. Some manufacturers, like Hasegawa and Trumpeter,will make the base box of corrugated cardboard which is a good solid support. Others, like Revell, use really flimsy thin cardboard which buckles under one box, never mind a stack of them. Of course, the other problem is the size of the box. The ideal stack is when the eight of the boxes is  carried through the walls and corners. Varying box sizes mean that some box lids have to carry the weight of the boxes is carried through the walls and corners. Varying box sizes mean that some box lids have to carry the weight, instead of through the corners. That causes damage ot he boxes and even in some cases can damage content.

I suppose if I hurry up and build everything, there won't be a problem with stacking......

Cheers,
Arend