Author Topic: Best Way To Accomplish Initial Data Load  (Read 2492 times)

kurtd123

• View Profile
Best Way To Accomplish Initial Data Load
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
Greetings everyone!  I finally bit the bullet and purchased this software after watching the development with great interest...  I have the software loaded on my desktop PC.

Within Kitbase I customized the different categories, populated a few kits and accessories, then exported to .cvs (and Excel).  I plan to use this Excel file (with the layout/columns created by the export) to complete the initial mass load using my laptop, which I can carry down in the basement.  (The laptop is a company-issued computer, and they frown on non-corporate programs, so I don't want to install Kitbase on it - they have been known to just uninstall programs.)  Most of my kits are 1/48 aircraft, so this seems like a good way to get started.  I am assuming that using the export file as my import template will eliminate any issues importing the resulting list back into Kitbase?

Just curious, does this sound like a reasonable approach to do the initial "mass" load?  I have to admit that the task of loading all this stuff is what has kept me from purchasing the software.  Now I want a complete list, mainly for insurance purposes, but also because I may start trading or selling kits and want to do this with some level of intelligence.

Thanks,
Kurt

Admin Gary

• Developer and Owner of Suisoft
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
Re: Best Way To Accomplish Initial Data Load
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:05:49 AM »
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for buying KitBase.

Really, the Excel import is designed for users with a list of kits already stored in Excel (or other databases).

Using Excel is an OK approach if you are just putting on kits and don't want to add accessories kept in the box with the kit. If you have a lot of accessories 'with kit', direct entry is best, as you can enter full details for everything kept with the kit. I appreciate that's not greatly convenient if you don't have KitBase installed on the laptop you have.

KitBase can import from a variety of spreadsheet layouts. Using the export file should be pretty easy because the columns are compatible. I think that I actually did a lot of the bulk import testing by exporting data from KitBase first (it was a while ago!)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gary

kurtd123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
I don't have a ridiculously large collection of kits - yet - but I do have lots of aftermarket for the kits I have.  Purchasing Kitbase provided me with the motivation to get everything organized!  I did the initial data load by loading the program to my office issued laptop and then copying the entire directory containing the data to my desktop.  I only have about 150 kits (so far), but have lots of paint masks, PE sets, vac canopies, resin sets, etc., for MOST of those kits!  Many of my kits are still wrapped in shrink wrap, so the majority of my accessories are stored separately form my kits...which brings me to my question.

Is there a way to merge a standalone accessory record with an existing kit?  Not a showstopper by any means, but would save a bit of time since I may change the way I am doing this and store the accessories with the kits.  I am presently in the midst of entering all of the aftermarket stuff... 

Next I will gather my purchase histories from E-Bay and the hobby shops I use to populate as many of the kits with real cost information.  At the same time I do this I will enter the current retail price...just because I am an accountant and just have to know how much this stuff is worth!  (Not that my wife will ever find out, or I will have to take her to the Bahamas or something.  :o)

Happy Modeling,
Kurt

kurtd123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »
Of course, right after I posted this I saw someone else asked the exact same question...so never mind!

Kurt

Admin Gary

• Developer and Owner of Suisoft
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Suisoft Website
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 03:46:43 AM »
Hi Kurt,

Did you find the solution in the other post?

You just need to change the 'Location' to '(with kit)' on the accessory and enter the RecNo of the kit into the 'Stored with (RecNo)' box.

Gary